Help! Getting My Ship Date Pushed Back
Create Post

Help! Getting My Ship Date Pushed Back

Hello fellow Pooles and Marines,
    I have a situation and I came here in hope of some good advice. I originaly DEP'd in on April 1st of this year. I entered the dep with a field contract of Logistics/Communications. I made it well known to my recruiter that I did not want to ship without an Infantry Slot. I was given a ship date of June but told that if I wished to be moved back I could at anytime and not be forced to ship out to bootcamp if I was not happy with my contract. So as the date came nearer the recruiter finally managed to move my date back to July. Although I still was not happy with this date as it was'nt after the fiscal year as I requested I continued to be heavily involved with my local station. As that date approached and no Infantry slots had opened up I again pressed the issue. Within one week of my ship date they moved it back to September 19th. I went and met with the Head NCO of my recruiting station. It was a very confusing conversation(as many are with recruiters.) But it seemed that the jist of it was that I could NOT have my date pushed back, and that I had to accept whichever job fields were open. This would prevent me from having a chance to get one of the infantry slots that is sure to open up in October, after the new fiscal year. This is where I currently am. The question I pose to any that feel they can help me is this,"If my heart is truley set on going Infantry, what current options do I have?" I am scoring around 265 on my IST and have a 96 on my ASVAB. I do not want to sound ungratful but I realize that this is a sore subject for many currently serving, but I just know that the best time in your career to obtain the job you want is at the very beggining. I can't explain how long and hard this processes has been already been for me and my father and am very desperate for advice from those who have already been through this!
    Thank you in advance for any who took the time to read this and help me out.
    With Regards,
    Poole Lloyd

I also realize that questions like this have already asked, but I feel that my situation is unique enough to warrent a new post. Once again Thank you for any advice you might lend!

You might just want to look at the available slots asap and choose one that can get you attached to infantry... like logistics/comm

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I got a 0300 slot back on July for September 19th ship date. Was the luckiest thing ever since 1 slot opened and I didn't take no other jobs since I dep'd back in March. If its meant to be its meant to be, I also would not have shipped without a Infantry contract but I didn't sweat my Recruiters at all, I was patient and kept telling my recruiter that I will not sign no job until a slot opened and when it did, I got it the next day.

I know its something hard to accept, as it would've been for me, but I think the ultimate feeling of being a Marine outweighs what you do. For me if I didn't get an 0300 contract I would've been fine with an Aviation one, something that requires a high score, just because unlike Infantry those carry long term rewards. But then again I wasn't put in the situation where I would HAVE to accept it.

If worst comes to worst, pick something close, and do a lat move later on.

Thread Information